New Carbon Monoxide Detector Law

As of July 1, 2011, California Senate Bill 183, a law aimed at regulating the installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors, will begin taking effect.  The new law has a couple different elements that will affect the buying and selling process.

What it is:

  1. The first part of the new law requires that, as of July 1, 2011, the Transfer Disclosure Statement disclosure will include a line item regarding the presence or absence of a Carbon Monoxide detector.  This applies to most types of occupied dwellings, from single family homes, to rentals, to condos, etc.   If the property has gas appliances, fireplaces, and/or attached garages, the property must also include a Carbon Monoxide if it’s being sold.
  2. The second part enacts the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010.  This portion of the law requires that ALL residential properties that are equipped with a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance, fireplace, and/or an attached garage, must be equipped with a Carbon Monoxide detector.  This pertains to all single family homes, and multi-family properties with up to 4 units, whether owner or tenant occupied, regardless of whether or not it’s being sold.

What it means for you:

The new law is a regulation for disclosure, not a regulation for a fix.

As of July 1, 2011, all Single Family Residences must have a Carbon Monoxide detector.  All other types of residential dwellings must have Carbon Monoxide detectors installed by January 1, 2013.

Home Buyers and Sellers will see the new requirement on the Transfer Disclosure Statement.  Sellers will be required to disclosure now the presence or absence of a working Carbon Monoxide detector, starting July 1, 2011.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s